Module 3: Mind Mapping

How I Could Use Mind Mapping In My Teaching

The way that I think I will likely use mind mapping is that I will:

1. Use the Understanding By Design method for my instructional planning. I’ll start with the end goal. So when I mind map to figure out what to do, I will first identify what the students will be able to do by the end of the learning cycle. That will be on the mind map linked to a rubric 1-4
  2. I’ll then mind map the assessment steps for determining if a student has successfully met the expectations for the unit
  3. The sequence of lessons, resources, activities, and explorations will be included on the mind map.
  4. Lastly I will share this mind map with my students so that they know what we are about to launch into, what the expectations are, and how they will know if they have been successful.

Student Assignments That I Created

My hope is that I can show my first graders what our learning objective is, how they will be assessed in the end, and the activities (such as observations, journaling, holding and caring for the chicks, books, media, and articles) will help them to do well in this unit of study. I will show them ahead of time through this mind map what the student assignments are that I created for them. Using the online method is great because it forms a wonderful and colorful visual that I think my first graders will love.

Screenshot fo Finished Mind Map and HyperLink to the Lucidchart